Monday, October 12, 2009

"This Is How We Dream"

After watching Richard Miller's videos, This Is How We Dream, I realize that there are possibilities out there for education and all other areas of life that I cannot even fathom. At first, I was not really following his talk, but I began to see what he was explaining. His idea is a very creative one, which I think is good. People need to think outside the box more often and push the boundaries. Like Mr. Miller said, "The limits and restrictions are largely ones we place on ourselves." This statement stuck out to me because I agree that we are sometimes lazy and do not try hard enough to be creative and come up with useful ideas. Instead, we wait for someone else to do it or just don't think about the possibilities at all.

Richard Miller mentions that we are living in a time where we can communicate instantly and globally. I agree that now is a good time to bring in some new ideas for that communication. His idea of writing with multimedia is a transforming idea for the education field. For students to be able to be "authors" themselves and actively contribute to the projects is great. Also, the collaboration that would take place is a great skill that many students need to practice. What I really liked about this was that it incorporates text, audio, images, and even video. There is a huge range of possibilities when working with so many different media, and the information that you could supply when creating these compositions is endless.

Mr. Miller is correct that we cannot teach this mulitmedia writing yet. Many people, including myself, do not fully understand the process of creating this type of composition. However, if enough teachers are willing to learn, we could see this being introduced into education soon. I think that even though it would benefit English and writing classes more, I could use it in the Scince classes for research and some projects. Also, I think it is possible that if it gains enough support, students shouls be learning to create mulitmeda compostions because it could possibly replace today's word processing compositions. I think that the multimedia writing is challenging, but I agree with Richard Miller that it can and should be done.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent work Hannah. Very good research. Keep up the great job!

    ReplyDelete