Monday, October 5, 2009

Google Earth From Dr. Alice Christie

This is a picture of Dr. Alice Christie. She is an older woman with short gray hair.She has on a very light colored blouse and gold earrings. She is turned to the side so that the left side of her face and upper body are visible.  There is a blue background.
I viewed Dr. Alice Christie's Google Earth tutorial. Google Earth will be a very useful tool for me in my classroom because I am teaching science. By using Google Earth, my students will be able to explore the world from the classroom for free. Dr. Alice Christie's explanation of Google Earth was very helpful to me and easy to understand. I learned that though all images are copyrighted, Google allows educational use of the images, which I am glad to know. I also appreciated the list of layers provided. This helped me see what I might be interested in looking for and will help me direct my students in the right direction when they are searching for sites. The Gallery list included some things that caught my attention such as NASA, Earthquakes, and Volcanoes because these are things that my Earth science students will be learning about.

Dr. Alice Christie has some very good points as to why Google Earth should be used in the classroom. I agree with her that it is a good way to get the students involved in and excited about learning about the world in which they live. I know that students find technology more appealing that paper and pencil work. This means they are more likely to pay better attention to the information and retain it easier since they are more involved in the lesson. I also agree with her in that it helps connect the students to their world. They can virtually tour any place in the world, which makes it seem as if they are visiting the place instead of just seeing a couple of pictures in their textbooks. I loved the example lesson she had about measuring as well as the list of other possible lessons a teacher could use. I also saw that there is a Google Earth Blog, which may be helpful to me in the future. I enjoyed learning about Google Earth from Dr. Alice Christie, and I will most likely use her site as a future reference when I am using Google Earth in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment