Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Dear Kaia...

This is a picture of Kaia, a three-year-old small girl with curly black hair. She is wearing a multi colored shirt, shorts, and pink sandals. She is squatted down, holding a camera in front of her. She is in the middle of a rocky desert area with a white stone fence in the background.
My first reaction to all of this was astonishment. I just got started with blogging, and I do not know much about it other than how to post. Then, I see that this three-year-old, Kaia, has her own blog. That shows me just how fast the technology world is changing, and communication is effected majorly by that change. Kaia's dad explained that her blog started out as a way to share photos with family and has become way to document her life. Kaia's pictures were wonderful, especially for such a small child to have taken them. I thought that it was just awesome that her dad is teaching her to explore her surroundings and look for the good in all of it. Then, they made the video of Kaia explaining the pictures that she had taken. I think that it is a very good thing that her dad is introducing her to this technology at a young age because she will need to be familiar with technology such as this throughout her life.

I went on to find that Kaia's dad communicated with Mr. Chamberlain's class via Skype and suggested that they make a video for Kaia with their comments because she can't yet read. The class's video with the voicethread was great! The class from Missouri communicated with a child and her father across the world in Qatar. Kaia's father posted the story to his blog and brought up some good points about parents' negative feelings toward their children's availability on the internet. Many parents, I am sure, are skeptical about their children having a blog on the internet for anyone to see. Like Mr. Jabiz Raisdana said, we have to trust that the good will outweigh the bad. I totally agree because we have to be willing to take chances in order to learn and grow. I think that Kaia's story will help people see that the risk is worth taking. To think that in a matter of minutes, we can share ideas with, and learn from, people all over the world, is empowering to me because I can see how useful that could be especially in education. Also, I could see how videos could be helpful as well to communicate and even use as presentations for reports or projects. I could connect my students with the world and help them gain the experience with technology that they need to succeed; the sky is literally the limit... for now.

1 comment: