Saturday, August 22, 2009

Did You Know? 3.0 reaction

After watching the Did You Know? 3.0 video, I feel a little disappointed. The part of the video that said that said that India has more honors kids than we have kids as well as the comments on the other countries advancing in technology made me think about just how far behind America is. There are bigger countries than us, yes. However, I feel like we are not making the most of what we have. I am also a little disappointed by the fact that we are allowing technology to take over the world. We put all our trust in the Internet. We ask the Internet all of our questions. We communicate with each other as well as share pictures and videos via the Internet. We are spending too much time with the computer and not enough time with each other, in my opinion. Human to human interaction is disappearing, which seems quite convenient to some people. I know I use the Internet to talk to people, such as facebook. However, that is for leisure conversations. I do not like the idea of the computer becoming my primary source of communication for important conversations. I like to read the other person's facial expressions when I am talking to him or her because that impacts both of us. I think that if we stop talking face to face with one another, we will completely stop caring about other people's feelings and become even more selfish than we already are.
Having said those things, I also realize that technology is helping us. Certain technological tools are saving lives in the medical field and helping teachers in the education field among other things. By taking advantage of the Internet, we can all learn many important things that people before the age of technology could not imagine learning. I know technology is making life easier, and I am grateful for that. However, as a future teacher, I am not taking kindly to the idea of learning from a computer someday. That leaves no opportunities to interact with others, to help others, to discuss different view points with others. I am trying to picture a classroom with computer teachers, and I cannot help but associate robotic students as a product of that environment. I have mixed emotions about technology. It is a useful tool and a great help in our daily lives, but I feel as if we are getting too obsessed with it and letting too much of a good thing take over our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment