Monday, September 28, 2009

Can Wikipedia Be Trusted?

I have not trusted Wikipedia for some time now because I had heard from a former teacher that it is not a reliable source, since anyone can make edits to entries. After reading these few pieces: the NPR news blog, the NPR article,and the Wired article, I think that Wikipedia may be a trusted resource, but very rarely. I think that the Wikipedia Scanner that has been developed by Virgil Griffith is an incredibly helpful tool for Wikipedia users. Now, everyone can see who is making the edits to the online encyclopedia and judge whether or not the information is true. I also think that people will think before they edit Wikipedia since they can be traced using the Wikipedia Scanner. I think that Wikipedia can be used as a trustful source of information if, and only if, the information can be found true when compared to other sources. Also, other sources must be searched for information that may have been left out or deleted from Wikipedia. I think that because of the development of the Wikipedia Scanner, Wikipedia will become more trustworthy. However, I think that as long as the general public can edit entries, it is not completely reliable. I, personally, do not want to use Wikipedia because there are more trustworthy resources available.

No comments:

Post a Comment